chicken -1 Kg washed and drained
onions- 1 cup
saffron- 1/4 tsp (Optional)
luke warm milk-1/2 cup
salt – as per taste
chopped coriander- 2tbsp
Pinch of food color(Optional)
thick curd/ yoghurt-1/2 cup
ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
slit green chillis-4
turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
coriander powder- 1 tbsp
chopped coriander leaves-1/2 cup
Pudina leaves-1/2 cup
Lemon Juice-3 tbsps
salt-1 1/2 tsps
Chilli powder- 2 tbsps (adjust as per taste)
Biryani Masala/ Garam Masala- 1 tsp
Long grained Basmati rice- 4 cups
mint leaves-5 to 10
Salt- 1 1/2 tbsp
water- as required
- Marinate chicken with all ‘marination’ ingredients and keep it aside for 2 to 4 hrs.
- Add saffron to milk, mix well and keep aside.(Optional)
- Cook basmati rice in plenty of water along with bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom,oil, salt till its half done. Strain water completely and allow it to cool.
- Mean while, heat oil and ghee in a wide vessel, add 1/2 cup of onions, saute till they turn golden brown and cryspy. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the remainig 1/2 cup onions and saute till they turn transparent, then add marinated chicken and cook on high for 2 mts. Add a tbsp of oil over the chicken pieces. Reduce the heat and cook for 3 more min. By this time chicken will be half done.
- Now greese oven plate with oil/ ghee. Place chicken along with rice on top such that chicken forms the bottom layer and rice forms the top layer . Mix food color in 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice or water and sprinkle it on top of biryani.
- Pre heat oven at 180 C. Place biryani inside oven and allow it to cook for 7 to 10 min depending on oven or till its done.
- Serve hot and spicy chicken biryani with biryani gravy or raitha with fried onions on top.
Tip: You can add boiled eggs to serve it in restaurant style.