rava – 2cups
½ onion (cut lengthwise)
Slit green chillies (adjust as per taste) -4
1″ ginger piece (minced) (Optional)
2 tbsp oil & 2tbsp ghee
4 cups water
Salt to taste
few coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
1/4 tsp- mustard seeds & Jeera
1/4 tsp urad dal
1 tsp channa dal
few curry leaves
2 red chillies
- Heat 1tbsp Ghee in a cooking vessel and dry roast the rava till golden brown colour on low heat. This will take 4-5 min.
- Remove from heat and keep it aside.
- Heat remaining ghee and oil in the cooking vessel.
- Add mustard seeds and jeera.
- When they start to splutter add remaining seasoning ingredients.
- Saut’e till they turn into golden yellow colour.
- Add onion, green chillies and minced ginger and cook till the onions turn transparent.
- Now add 4 cups of water, coriander leaves and cover it with a lid.
- When the water starts to boiling add rava slowly in continuous flow while stirring so that it combines well with water without formaing lumps. Stir it for 2 minutes and cover it with lid for 5. Stir it and cook for another 4-5 minutes or till its done.
- Switch of the stove and serve hot ravva upma with coconut chutney or lemon pickle.